mod_ssl question: using my own CA?

Peter Elsner peter at servplex.com
Mon Jul 14 06:35:07 PDT 2003

I couldn't find the sign.sh script either...  I had nothing but problems
with mod_ssl,
then switched to Apache-SSL and all my problems went away.  I had a secure
server running in less than 30 minutes.

Peter

At 05:39 PM 7/12/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>On Sat, 12 Jul 2003, admin wrote:
>
> > OS: FreeBSD 4.8
> > apache 1.3.27
> > modssl 2.8.14
> >
> > goals:
> >
> > generate a server.crt file for apache
> > generate a server.key file for apache
> > I will be my own CA
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > okay I am trying to find a way to overcome this most elusive and vague
> > documentationt that I am finding on the modssl.org website.  I am
> completely
> > confused by the documentation at this point.
> >
> > from:
> > http://www.modssl.org/docs/2.7/ssl_faq.html#ToC29
>
>  "So a script named sign.sh is distributed with the mod_ssl distribution"
>                                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >
> > --- snip ----
> > 4. Now you can use this CA to sign server CSR's in order to create real SSL
> > Certificates for use inside an Apache webserver (assuming you already
> have a
> > server.csr at hand):
> >
> > $ ./sign.sh server.csr
> >
> > This signs the server CSR and results in a server.crt file.
> >
> > shell# find / -name sign.sh
>
>  % tar ztf mod_ssl-2.8.14-1.3.27.tar.gz | grep sign.sh
>  mod_ssl-2.8.14-1.3.27/pkg.contrib/sign.sh
>
>   $.02,
>   /Mikko

Anything below this line, is considered a signature line.
If you do not know what a signature is within an email
STOP here and do not read any further.   Thank you.

Peter Elsner <peter at servplex.com>
Vice President Of Customer Service (And System Administrator)
1835 S. Carrier Parkway
Grand Prairie, Texas 75051
(972) 263-2080 - Voice
(972) 263-2082 - Fax
(972) 489-4838 - Cell Phone
(425) 988-8061 - eFax

I worry about my child and the Internet all the time, even though she's
too young to have logged on yet. Here's what I worry about. I worry
that 10 or 15 years from now, she will come to me and say "Daddy, where
were you when they took freedom of the press away from the Internet?"
-- Mike Godwin

Unix IS user friendly... It's just selective about who its friends are.

System Administration - It's a dirty job, but somebody said I had to do it.

If you receive something that says 'Send this to everyone you know,
pretend you don't know me.

Standard $500/message proofreading fee applies for UCE.
(NOTE: UCE is Unsolicited Commercial Email also known as
SPAM or junk mail).