How to enable PCI soundcard joystick in 5.1?

K. Ari Krupnikov ari at lib.aero
Mon Jul 14 01:29:32 PDT 2003

I have a PCI soundcard with a MIDI interface with a joystick
attached. How can I configure the kernel to recognize the MIDI port?
The soundcard is recognized and sound is working.

Searching mailing list archives, I came across a couple of posts that
talk about ISA-only support for MIDIs and patches to enable PCI
versions[1]. The post talks about 4.8, and I'm too new to FreeBSD to
figure out how relevant it is for 5.1.

I have devices `pcm' and `joy' in my kernel config file, and I tried
adding `midi' and `seq' just in case, but the device doesn't seem to
get recognized:

Jul 13 23:51:34 fbsd-machine kernel: pcm0: <SigmaTel STAC9721/23 AC97 Codec>
Jul 13 23:51:34 fbsd-machine kernel: pci0: <simple comms> at device 10.0 (no driver attached)

On on an off chance that the kernel just doesn't know where to look
for it, I tried setting hint.joy.0.at="pci0" in /boot/device.hints,
but with to effect.

There is no joy in /dev (pun intended).

Ari.

[1] http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-hardware/2003-May/000176.html