.htpasswd creation

Derrick Ryalls ryallsd at datasphereweb.com
Sun Jul 13 23:57:13 PDT 2003

> On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 23:18:36 -0700, Derrick Ryalls wrote
> > > can somebody explain to me how to create a .htpasswd
> > > password? I dont want to use online password generators.
> >
> > http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/howto/auth.html
>

> okay thanks,
>
> OS: FreeBSD 4.8
> Apache:  1.3.27
>
> but I am having the strangest issue with my .htaccess file
>
> --- snip ---
>
> AuthName "Protected Area Name"
> AuthUserFile /usr/local/www/data/phpMyAdmin/.htpasswd
> AuthType Basic
> Require user noah
>
> --- snip ---
>
> shell# htpasswd -c .htpasswd noah
> New password:
> Re-type new password:
> Adding password for user noah
>
> okay so I have the proper files in place.
>
> shell# ls -l .ht*
> -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  121 Jul 13 23:36 .htaccess
> -rw-r-----  1 root  wheel   19 Jul 13 23:33 .htpasswd
> shell# pwd
> /usr/local/www/data/phpMyAdmin
>
> my browser asks for a password but I never get allowed past
> the password popup.

I assume you have that directory marked in your httpd.conf.  Apache
recommends putting all the config stuff that would go in .htaccess in
httpd.conf if you are the admin.  I believe that htaccess stuff is the
same for 1.3.x and 2.x, so here is what I have on a 2.x system:

<Directory /usr/local/www/data/patches>
        AuthType Basic
        AuthName "Clan Files"
        AuthUserFile /usr/local/www/passwords
        Require user fishhead
</Directory>

Note:  my password file is not in a web publishable area, doesn't need
to be and was created from the link above.

So try using this method and doing a apachectl restart and see if it
fixes it for you.

-Derrick