bad namelist

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.no-ip.com
Sun Jul 13 16:05:55 PDT 2003

Static <static at ninja-assassin.com> writes:

> I'm running fbsd 4.7 in a jail environment.  I am unable to run the
> following commands (so far) uptime, w, ps.  I get the message 'bad
> namelist'   I did some googling and found some responses from about 2
> years ago stating incomplete upgrade.  This was not the case, there has
> been no update.
>
> %w
> w: bad namelist
> %w -n
> w: bad namelist
> %uptime
> uptime: bad namelist
> %ps
> ps: bad namelist
> %ps auxwwww
> ps: bad namelist
>

> FreeBSD inton.Ninja-assassin.com 4.7-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE #0: Thu
> Feb  6 22:32:38 PST 2003
> user at jail9.johncompanies.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/47  i386
>
> Any suggestions on things to look at?   Reboot has not helped.

Well, I wouldn't *expect* a jail to be able to pull the process list
out of the kernel.  It seems like a terrible idea to allow in the
first place.  I can imagine a carefully limited interface for getting
some of that information out, but last I recall (and admittedly that's
a pretty rusty memory), those programs dove directly into kernel data
structures.