Problem with lookupd

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Sun Jul 13 11:52:39 PDT 2003

Andrew J Thomas wrote:
> I have been experiencing a problem with the lookup daemon (or at least
> that's as far as I have been able to track it) where after 2-50 minutes of
> successful operation it will return a generic 'not found' error for network
> addresses. It seems that the cache is becoming corrupt or something. Sending
> a SIGHUP to lookupd resolves the problem briefly but it comes back again
> within 10 minutes usually. Any suggestions how this is happening or how to
> fix this permanently other than re-installing?

Your question strongly implies that you are not running FreeBSD, but MacOS X.
Wrong list.  See "man lookupd" and the section on cache agents, specificly:

    CacheAgent
      The operation and configuration of the cache agent are described in
      detail in the sections above.  The configuration options for the Cache
      agent are ValidateCache, CacheCapacity, and TimeToLive. These options may
      be set globally and/or for specific categories.  Options set for a spe-
      cific category will over-ride the global setting.

      Note that CacheAgent should always appear first in a LookupOrder specifi-
      cation to allow lookupd to find cached entries before searching other
      information services.

...and...

    NILAgent
      The NILAgent always returns a result for a query, so it stops any search.
      However, it returns a negative record, which carries the meaning that the
      item requested does not exist.  The use of negative entries in a cache is
      controversial, so lookupd does not include the NILAgent in its default
      lookup order.  [ ... ]

--
-Chuck