i want to switch from windows to freebsd, please help me.

Adam blueeskimo at gmx.net
Sat Jul 12 17:57:09 PDT 2003

On Sat, 2003-07-12 at 20:34, bob philituoy wrote:
> i have used nothing but window OS's in my 16 year lifespan and am tired of it. right now i have a old sony vaio pcv-90 with win95 and a computer i built (1.8ghz P4 with windows xp pro soon to be dual booted with linux suse 8.1 pro) and wanted to find a version of unix i could try. i bought suse but am having alot of trouble installing it and have not been able to run it. one of my friends has freebsd 4.4 and says that he likes it more than anything else out there so he has gotten me interested in it now. What do you version do you recomend for me to get since i am a major noob and do you recomend any reading materials? I've been to http://store.yahoo.com/bsdmall/ and looked around, do you recomend them any?
> Any help will be very appreciated.

First of all, you need to wrap your emails to 72-80 character rows so
people can read them.

Second of all, I've found the best place to learn about FreeBSD is on
this mailing list, and on the FreeNode IRC channels dedicated to FreeBSD
(#freebsd, #freebsd-gnome, #kde-freebsd, #freebsdhelp).

For searchable archives, try http://www.freebsdsearch.com,
http://www.freebsdforums.com/forums, and of course the FreeBSD handbook
on http://freebsd.org

The handbook and FAQ is really the place to start. If you don't know
what part of the handbook to look, just ask here or on IRC and some kind
soul will help you out.

FreeBSD really is the best OS in the world, and also the best community.
You will love it.

--
Adam <blueeskimo at gmx.net>