Newbie Firewall Question

mempheria andre at krang.net
Sat Jul 12 15:29:36 PDT 2003

Q1:
i just setup my first ipfw/with natd firewall :-)
i run the preconfigured firewalltype called "simple"
can anyone help me make a ruleset that blocks all to inside
(except dhcp from my isp & ssh from inside) and allows everything out?

when i try to learn, and look at the "simple" configuration ruleset in rc.firewall i go nuts
i mean, why is there natd rules? isnt natd transparent? if i block all in it should block all in for natd aswell (?)

Q2:
What means by statefull inspection? i guess ipfw doesnt have suport for that.

im sorry for being such a lamer and dont read manuals better, but i guess this list is for people like me :-)

anyway, feel free to answer me, and here is the information you need to know

outside interface ep0 "DHCP"
inside interface fxp0 "192.168.0.1"

/ Mempheria