Expanding a Vinum RAID-5 array

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Sat Jul 12 00:02:09 PDT 2003

On Saturday, 12 July 2003 at  8:42:17 +0200, Joachim Dagerot wrote:
> Is it possible to just 'plug-in' another disk to a vinum RAID-5
> array and let vinum start building a new index based on the new
> volume-size?

No, sorry.  You can (forcibly) add another plex (I think), but it will
involve complete data loss (another way to say backup/restore data).

What you can do, if you have enough disk, is to create a second RAID-5
plex of the desired size and start it from the first.  After that you
can release the disks of the first plex.

Greg