Why are Included Packages shrinking

Joseph Lewis joe at relia.net
Fri Jul 11 16:17:45 PDT 2003

I just have a simple question.  As I've been tracking BSD over the years,
the options for installing packages (on a post-install configuration)
appears (under-exaggerated term) to be getting smaller.  Is there a reason
that none of the release people want to include any of the default dist
files?  I work on a few machines online all the time, and also one or two
offline.  But that just means that I have to take a chance of missing a
prerequisite when I download a port file.  Why not just include the common
ones on the CD like used to be done?  (Such as Apache, DHCPD, etc)

Joe