extracting cd-audio to wav

Mikko Työläjärvi mbsd at pacbell.net
Fri Jul 11 09:37:23 PDT 2003

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003, Benjamin Walkenhorst wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> Is there some kind of program to digitally read audio-cds to wav-files under
> FreeBSD?

Yes.

> Under GNU/Linux I use cdparanoia, which I have I've come to like very much,
> but cdparanoia III release 9.8 (March 23, 2001) refused to compile, using
> both FreeBSD's make and gmake using FreeBSD 5.0-RELEASE (I later upgraded to
> 5.1 by installing the new source-tree and recompiling the system by make
> buildworld + make kernel KERNCONF=<MYKERNELCONFIG> + reboot + make
> installworld, but the problem remains).
> I looked up the FAQ and found out cdparanoia doesn't run on FreeBSD
> currently. Can I use Linux binary emulation to run cdparanoia from my linux
> installation (/ and /usr are ext3, so I can read them from FreeBSD)? Or is
> there any program for FreeBSD which offers error correction similarly to
> cdparanoia? Or any cd-ripper at all?

Don't believe everything you are told.

  cd /usr/ports/audio/cdparanioa; make install clean

It is version 3.9.8 and it works just fine on somewhat recently
cvsupped system.  If you didn't use the port, I can understand if it
did not build - the port has some 1k lines of patches.

There is also "dagrab" and "cdda2wav" (the latter is in the
sysutils/cdrtools port).  Additionally, the "ata" driver has track
nodes that you can "dd" from :)

     $.02,
     /Mikko