Mounting a Samab share at boot time

stan stanb at panix.com
Thu Jul 10 18:34:32 PDT 2003

On Fri, Jul 11, 2003 at 12:11:03AM +0000, Murray Taylor wrote:
> I believe that the method mentioned here is the appropriate way.
>
> #!/bin/sh
> #
> # $Id: smbfs.sh.sample,v 1.3 2001/01/13 04:50:36 bp Exp $
> #
> # Location: /usr/local/etc/rc.d/smbfs.sh
> #
> # Simple script to mount smbfs file systems at startup.
> # It assumes that all mount points described in fstab file and password
> # entries listed in /root/.nsmbrc file. See mount_smbfs(8) for details.
> #
>
> mount="/sbin/mount -o -N"
> umount=/sbin/umount
> HOME=/root; export HOME
> vols=`awk -- '/^\/.*[[:space:]]+smbfs[[:space:]]+/ { print $2 }'
> /etc/fstab`
>
> case "$1" in
> start)
>         echo -n "smbfs: "
>         for vol in ${vols}; do
>                 $mount $vol
>                 echo -n "$vol "
>         done
>         ;;
> stop)
>         echo -n "unmounting smbfs mount points: "
>         for vol in ${vols}; do
>                 $umount $vol
>                 echo -n "$vol "
>         done
>         ;;
> *)
>         echo "Usage: `basename $0` {start|stop}" >&2
>         exit 64
> esac
>
> echo "Done"

Would this assume that you had the "noauto" paramter for the smbfs
partitions in /etc/fstab? Else earlier scripts would try to mount them, I
beleive, and fail.

> It seems to me that the reason for this is that the ufs kernel
> 'knowledge' allows the fstab mounts for the ufs slices to progress but
> perhaps the smbfs module is not yet loaded, so the smb mounts go
> pearshaped in auto mode.

I've solved that part of the problem, by hvaing the smbfs module loaded by
using /boot/loader.conf. Howeverm that just gets me to the next problem.
An attempt is made to mount all filesystems not marked as "noauto" _before_
networking is brought up, Thus my problem

> On Thu, 2003-07-10 at 20:44, Rus Foster wrote:
> > Hi,
> > > Here is what I'm trying to do. I want to mount a Samba share from a remote
> > > machine on boot up. Presently I have the appropriate entry in /etc/fsatb,
> > > such that I can mount the share _once I am in multiuser_. I have figured
> > > out how to get the smbfs kernel module loaded at boot time, using
> > > /boot/loader.conf.
> > >

> > A workaround I can think of is set the noauto option in /etc/fstab then in
> > /etc/rc.local put mount /samba/shre
> >
> > HTH
> >
> > RGds
> >
> > Rus Foster
> --
> Murray Taylor
> Special Projects Engineer
> ---------------------------------
> Bytecraft Systems & Entertainment
> P: +61 3 8710 2555
> F: +61 3 8710 2599
> D: +61 3 9238 4275
> M: +61 417 319 256
> E: murraytaylor at bytecraftsystems.com
> or visit us on the web
> http://www.bytecraftsystems.com
> http://www.bytecraftentertainment.com

> This Email has been scanned for Viruses by MailMarshal.

neither liberty nor safety."
						-- Benjamin Franklin