Changed a filesystem's name -- now system hangs on reboot (help)

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Thu Jul 10 10:10:59 PDT 2003

Joshua Oreman wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 10, 2003 at 03:09:35AM -0400 or thereabouts, Chuck Swiger wrote:
[ ... ]
>> This is when you boot single-user mode off of the install CD, or the FIXIT
>> CD (#2) if you have that around.  Then mount your hard drive's root
>> partition on /mnt (or make something in /tmp), and fix the problem.
>
> Completely unnecessary.

While I am a fan of "use the existing tools to fix the problem without physical
intervention if at all possible"-- remote management does that to you-- I think
what the OP was asking was "what should I do if I've screwed up the config on
the hard drive enough that it won't boot properly, and I want to start from a
known-working environment to fix things".

Booting single-user off a CD may be completely unnecessary in this particular
case; nevertheless, it's a valid solution to the problem.

--
-Chuck