Help with nsmb.conf (SAMBA) donfig file

stan stanb at panix.com
Thu Jul 10 07:23:38 PDT 2003

I'm exploring the (unknown to me) mysteries of SAMBA. I really know very
little about the M$ side of things, so I'm pretty confused at the moment.
Ultimately I plan on having a SAMBA share mounted automatically at boot time,
so I'm working up to this a little at a time.

Currently I'm able to mount the share manually using the following command:

mount_smbfs -I 170.85.109.95 //samba at dmgolan-w2k/samba /hmx

After which I'm prompted for a password. If I enter this password the mount
succeeds. In order to make this work from /etc/fstab, obviously I've got to
get past the manual password entry.

It appears that I should be able to do this using
/usr/local/etc/nsmb.conf, right?

However, i can't seem to get the syntax on this correct. here's what I've
currently got:

[DMGOLAN-W2K:SAMBA:SAMBA]
password=samba

If I do:

mount_smbfs -N -I 170.85.109.95 //samba at dmgolan-w2k/samba /hmx

Which should start me down the road, by eliminating the need for manually
entering a password, however, I get the following error message:

mount_smbfs: unable to open connection: syserr = Authentication error

Could some kind soul please educate me as to the correct syntax of this
config file?

Thanks.

neither liberty nor safety."
						-- Benjamin Franklin