Post about BSD's alleged demise on /.

Peter Elsner peter at servplex.com
Thu Jul 10 06:30:08 PDT 2003

The person who posted this on /. is nothing more than a troll...

The same bunch of trolls that repeat that *BSD is dying (or dead) about
once every
couple of months...

It's not true, it's just there to see how much panic can be caused.

FreeBSD is NOT dying, and will be around for many years to come.

Peter

At 11:55 AM 7/10/2003 +0200, you wrote:
>Hi
>
>I saw this post on /. today, under the announcement about a FreeBSD 5.1
>review.
>
>Is there much truth is this?
>How many FreeBSD servers are out there? And is there number declining?
>
>I really hope that BSD will be arround for a long time to come...
>
>Kind regards
>
>Guy
>

>http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=70502&cid=6404771
>
>It is now official - Netcraft has confirmed: *BSD is dying
>
>Yet another crippling bombshell hit the beleaguered *BSD community when
>recently IDC confirmed that *BSD accounts for less than a fraction of 1
>percent of all servers. Coming on the heels of the latest Netcraft
>survey which plainly states that *BSD has lost more market share, this
>news serves to reinforce what we've known all along. *BSD is collapsing
>in complete disarray, as fittingly exemplified by failing dead last
>[samag.com] in the recent Sys Admin comprehensive networking test.
>
>You don't need to be a Kreskin [amazingkreskin.com] to predict *BSD's
>future. The hand writing is on the wall: *BSD faces a bleak future. In
>fact there won't be any future at all for *BSD because *BSD is dying.
>Things are looking very bad for *BSD. As many of us are already aware,
>*BSD continues to lose market share. Red ink flows like a river of
>blood. FreeBSD is the most endangered of them all, having lost 93% of
>its core developers.
>
>Let's keep to the facts and look at the numbers.
>
>OpenBSD leader Theo states that there are 7000 users of OpenBSD. How
>many users of NetBSD are there? Let's see. The number of OpenBSD versus
>NetBSD posts on Usenet is roughly in ratio of 5 to 1. Therefore there
>are about 7000/5 = 1400 NetBSD users. BSD/OS posts on Usenet are about
>half of the volume of NetBSD posts. Therefore there are about 700 users
>of BSD/OS. A recent article put FreeBSD at about 80 percent of the *BSD
>market. Therefore there are (7000+1400+700)*4 = 36400 FreeBSD users.
>This is consistent with the number of FreeBSD Usenet posts.
>
>Due to the troubles of Walnut Creek, abysmal sales and so on, FreeBSD
>went out of business and was taken over by BSDI who sell another
>troubled OS. Now BSDI is also dead, its corpse turned over to yet
>another charnel house.
>
>All major surveys show that *BSD has steadily declined in market share.
>*BSD is very sick and its long term survival prospects are very dim. If
>*BSD is to survive at all it will be among OS hobbyist dabblers. *BSD
>continues to decay. Nothing short of a miracle could save it at this
>point in time. For all practical purposes, *BSD is dead.
>
>Fact: *BSD is dead

Anything below this line, is considered a signature line.
If you do not know what a signature is within an email
STOP here and do not read any further.   Thank you.

Peter Elsner <peter at servplex.com>
Vice President Of Customer Service (And System Administrator)
1835 S. Carrier Parkway
Grand Prairie, Texas 75051
(972) 263-2080 - Voice
(972) 263-2082 - Fax
(972) 489-4838 - Cell Phone
(425) 988-8061 - eFax

I worry about my child and the Internet all the time, even though she's
too young to have logged on yet. Here's what I worry about. I worry
that 10 or 15 years from now, she will come to me and say "Daddy, where
were you when they took freedom of the press away from the Internet?"
-- Mike Godwin

Unix IS user friendly... It's just selective about who its friends are.

System Administration - It's a dirty job, but somebody said I had to do it.

If you receive something that says 'Send this to everyone you know,
pretend you don't know me.

Standard $500/message proofreading fee applies for UCE.
(NOTE: UCE is Unsolicited Commercial Email also known as
SPAM or junk mail).