DNS and SMTP problem

pat bey phaza7 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 9 16:19:30 PDT 2003

thanks Toomas for your help I'm new at this sort of thing.
I never got the two messages you sent to me but I did find this in log files.
Jul 9 08:04:36 hijra postfix/smtpd[5063]:E19EB55: reject:RCPT FROM lv.raad.tarty.ee
[194.xxx.xxx.xxx]:555<phaza7 at hijra.homeunix.com>:user unknown in local recipient
table; from=<toomas.aas at raad.tartu.ee> proto=ESMTP helo=<lv.raad.tartu.ee>

check from root mailbox shown this with pine
The following addresses had permanent fatal error root
(reason:553 5.1.8 root at tweax-def.net.....
Domain of sender address root at tweax-def.net does not exist)
{Which was the hostname before I got the hijra.homeunix.com but I change it manually
in rc.conf and in named.conf, localhost.rev, localhost.v6.rev}
mail in local queue:
/var/spool/mqueue is empty
               total requests: 0
mail in submit queue:
/var/spool/clientmqueue is empty
             total requests: 0
looking at uname
#uname -a
FreeBSD hijra.homeunix.com 4-8-Release
tweaxor at tweax-def.net: /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC I386

I have a account with dyndns.org that's where I got the host name but it has a option for
Mail Exchanger(optional):   "Should I fill this in with hijra.homeunix.com or hijra.  The ip address is the address that points to my router which updates my ip address whenever it change by my isp.   thanks for your time and considerations

Toomas Aas <toomas.aas at raad.tartu.ee> wrote:
Hi!

> my domain name is hijra.homeunix.com and i'm trying to
> be authoritative for my local lan so my xp box can use this server with
> Outlook Express to send and receive mail.

OK, let's do some DNS checks:

# host hijra.homeunix.com
hijra.homeunix.com has address 66.136.178.42

# dig hijra.homeunix.com SOA

; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> hijra.homeunix.com SOA
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; QUERY SECTION:
;; hijra.homeunix.com, type = SOA, class = IN

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
homeunix.com. 30M IN SOA ns1.dyndns.org. hostmaster.dyndns.org. (
2002043347 ; serial
3H ; refresh
30M ; retry
1W ; expiry
30M ) ; minimum

It looks like homeunix.com is a domain whose DNS server is ns1.dyndns.org,
and hijra.homeunix.com is a host in that domain, with address
66.136.178.42. Furthermore, it looks like hijra.homeunix.com is not
a subdomain, but just a single host (represented by A record in homeunix.com
zone). Hence it makes no sense to try to be authoritative for hijra.homeunix.com
domain, because this domain doesn't exist.

Anyway, having a domain or even MX record is not required to be able to receive
mail. If mail is sent to user at hijra.homeunix.com, then the sender's mail server
first tries to look up MX record for hijra.homeunix.com, which fails. Then the
sender's mail server tries to look up A record for hijra.homeunix.com, which
succeeds. Hence, the mail sent to hijra.homeunix.com should be sent to
66.136.178.42. If that is the address of your server, you should get it.

> When I send a mesg to phaza7 at hijra.homeunix.com I
> never receive it
> postqueue -p shows 0 mesgs. Lookin /var/log/maillog
> it's says something
> about the mesg that I sent but doesn't mention the one
> that I reply back too. There are no error messages
> anywhere in log files. My guess is it bounces back
> cause I never get it on the server never shows
> anything about it attempted to receive a mesg either.

If it bounces back, it must bounce back *from* somewhere *to* somewhere :-)
Do you get a bounced message back to your yahoo account? I cc-d this
message to phaza7 at hijra.homeunix.com and root at hijra.homeunix.com
just to see what happens.

--
Toomas Aas | toomas.aas at raad.tartu.ee | http://www.raad.tartu.ee/~toomas/
* Feeling compressed ARJ you?

Suppressed minds have no Freedom of Choice