restoresymtable

Peter Elsner peter at servplex.com
Wed Jul 9 14:31:43 PDT 2003

Quick search on google, brought up the following:

If you use the "-r" option to the restore command, it will create this file.
This is a "checkpoint" file, which the restore command uses when you are
restoring
from multiple tapes.  For example, suppose you had a level 0 (full) dump tape
from a week ago and a level 1 (incremental) dump tape from yesterday and
you need
to restore the entire disk.  You would run the "restore -r" command on the
full dump
tape first, and then on the incremental dump tape to pick up the latest
changes.
The restore command with the -r option assumes that additional restores may be
coming and so creates that restoresymtable file as an aid to help the next
restore
command determine which directories or files need updating, creating, or
deleting.

The restore "-x" option does not create this file, because it assumes no
further
restores are coming.

After you are finished restoring your disk, you SHOULD remove the
restoresymtable
file.  You do not want this file to appear on your next dump backup.  If a
dump with
that file is used for a future restore operation, the old restoresymtable file
could end up overwriting the one that is being created at that time.

Peter

At 11:02 PM 7/9/2003 +0200, you wrote:
>Inspecting the /usr directory I came across a >10MB file called
>"restoresymtable"
>
>Anybody got some idea where this came from?
>Can I safely delete it?
>How could it be created in the first place?
>
>--
>dick -- http://www.nagual.st/ -- PGP/GnuPG key: F86289CE
>++ Running FreeBSD 4.8 ++ Debian GNU/Linux (Woody)

Anything below this line, is considered a signature line.
If you do not know what a signature is within an email
STOP here and do not read any further.   Thank you.

Peter Elsner <peter at servplex.com>
Vice President Of Customer Service (And System Administrator)
1835 S. Carrier Parkway
Grand Prairie, Texas 75051
(972) 263-2080 - Voice
(972) 263-2082 - Fax
(972) 489-4838 - Cell Phone
(425) 988-8061 - eFax

I worry about my child and the Internet all the time, even though she's
too young to have logged on yet. Here's what I worry about. I worry
that 10 or 15 years from now, she will come to me and say "Daddy, where
were you when they took freedom of the press away from the Internet?"
-- Mike Godwin

Unix IS user friendly... It's just selective about who its friends are.

System Administration - It's a dirty job, but somebody said I had to do it.

If you receive something that says 'Send this to everyone you know,
pretend you don't know me.

Standard $500/message proofreading fee applies for UCE.
(NOTE: UCE is Unsolicited Commercial Email also known as
SPAM or junk mail).