How do I max a 6Mbps link

Thomas T. Veldhouse veldy at veldy.net
Wed Jul 9 10:42:14 PDT 2003

The problem is probably file I/O.  I use samba for use with Windows.  I can
transfer a large file from my FreeBSD server and get almost 10MB/s (using an
Intel 10/100 card).  However, when I transfer files to FreeBSD, I only get
about 6MB/s.  I seem to get this same ratio when using FTP transfers as
well.  This leads me to believe it is I/O bound (my FreeBSD machine has a
UDMA66, mainboard limitted to UDMA33,  7200RPM drive in it running
softupdates).  BTW -- this is one area where Linux (w / reiserfs) kicks the
FreeBSD daemon all over town.

Tom Veldhouse