Cyrus PAM authentication doesn't work for POP3 (works for IMAP)

Wed Jul 9 08:47:23 PDT 2003

Hi all!

Just a brief question: does anyone have a clue why this doesn't work
(4.8R) in /etc/pam.conf:

pop     auth sufficient pam_mysql.so user=foo passwd=foo host=localhost
db=mail table=accountuser usercolumn=username passwdcolumn=password crypt=1

pop     account required pam_mysql.so user=foo passwd=foo host=localhost
db=mail table=accountuser usercolumn=username passwdcolumn=password crypt=1

?

I have the same lines for IMAP (the line starting with imap) and it
works fine. This is the setup I would use with web-cyradmin.

In imapd.conf I have tried for sasl_pwcheck_method both 'PAM' and
'saslauthd' (which would use PAM...). If I set it to be 'saslauthd' I
get this in /var/log/messages:

Jul  9 18:36:55 silakka pop3d[23741]: badlogin:
dyn-7.milkyway[10.0.42.7] plaintext kypeli cannot connect to pwcheck server

If I set it to 'PAM' I get nothing in messages - the client just shows
an error for invalid login. IMAP forks fine no matter if
sasl_pwcheck_method is PAM or saslauthd.

I am a bit confused :-)

Thanks again in advance!

--
Johan Paul