Free Block Count Not Updating Until After Reboot

John Fox jjf at mind.net
Tue Jul 8 20:43:56 PDT 2003

Hello, all.

I am running FreeBSD 4.8-RELEASE #27 and have run into some strange
behavior with the SCSI drive.  The adaptor is an Adaptec 29160
Ultra160 adaptater, and the drive is a Seagate ST336607LW
SCSI-3 device.

Problem is that I can rm a 4GB file and afterwards, the
free block count won't reflect the erasure.  Instead, it
displays the same count it showed prior to the 'rm'.  The
free block count won't be updated until I reboot the system.

I checked LINT, and found that the 29160 isn't supported.
Only 154x, 274x/284x/294x, and 152x are mentioned there.

It's probably a no-brainer at this point, but I want to
be sure: could this be the cause of the OS not seeing/showing
the updated free block count until after the reboot?

Thank you,

John