(g)cc and /usr/local

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Tue Jul 8 15:42:26 PDT 2003

In the last episode (Jul 08), Kent Hauser said:
> Why doesn't gcc look in /usr/local/{include,lib} on FreeBSD? It
> always did on my sun box. Installing in "/usr/local" is standard on
> CSRG systems -- why is looking non-standard on FreeBSD?

Because when you installed gcc on Solaris, it probably installed into
/usr/local/bin, which means it'll search /usr/local/include for
headers.  gcc on FreeBSD is the default compiler, is installed in
/usr/bin, and does not search /usr/local/include.  I bet if you were to
run Solaris' default cc, it wouldn't search /usr/local/include either.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson at allantgroup.com