Using a RAID-card with FreeBSD

Tue Jul 8 14:57:54 PDT 2003

> We have a production 4.1.1 box that is acting as a mail server.  We are
> wanting to beef this box up a bit for a little more survivability.
>
> 1) If we put in a newer hardware raid card does the os/kernel still
> need a
> driver to see it?  Or does a hardware raid solution eliminate the need
> for
> any drivers.  We are just a bit concerned due to our OS being a bit
> behind
> and thinking that our raid options might be limited or very
> antiquated.  I
> realize that the original poster said that "Yes, the RAIDing is
> completely
> transparent to the OS.", which confusing me as to why there is a
> supported
> raid card list.

The kernel still needs to support the RAID card. I think the original
poster refered to the RAID file system to be completely transparent to
the OS contrary to software RAID where the kernel needs to handle all
RAID functionality. When using a RAID card the card handles everything
related to the RAID array (reading, syncin, rebuilding a replaced drive
etc...).

> 2) Can a mirror be made out of an existing drive.  I have heard the
> that the
> Adaptec 2100A can make a mirror off of existing data, but alas this is
> not
> supported by FreeBSD as they recommend the 2400A.

Yes, that's true. At least my cheap FastTrak TX2 offers the option of
creating a RAID1 array using an existing disk. Unfurtunetly I don't have
experience in how realible this rebuild is if the disk are completely
different for example.

--
Johan