Tape Drive Problems

Joseph Koenig joe at jwebmedia.com
Tue Jul 8 06:24:26 PDT 2003

Hi,

I have a Dell PowerEdge server with a RAID 5 and a SCSI tape drive. For the
past two years, the tape drive has worked fine. All of the sudden I get:

  DUMP: Date of this level 0 dump: Mon Jun 16 01:00:00 2003
  DUMP: Date of last level 0 dump: the epoch
  DUMP: Dumping /dev/aacd0s1a (/) to /dev/sa0
  DUMP: mapping (Pass I) [regular files]
  DUMP: mapping (Pass II) [directories]
  DUMP: estimated 297479 tape blocks.
  DUMP: Cannot open output "/dev/sa0".
  DUMP: fopen on /dev/tty fails: Device not configured
  DUMP: The ENTIRE dump is aborted.

When doing a dump. mt status shows:

server1# mt -f /dev/sa0 status
mt: /dev/sa0: Input/output error

Does this sound like a scsi bus problem, or perhaps a bad drive? Anything I
can do to tell for sure what the problem is? Thanks,

Joe