apache doesn't reply on explicit hostname

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Tue Jul 8 02:16:42 PDT 2003

On Tue, Jul 08, 2003 at 09:35:06AM +0200, Fredrik Carlén wrote:
> Hello! I have apache 2.0 on my
> "# uname -a
> FreeBSD al-khwarizmi.intra.arrhythmetic.net 5.0-RELEASE FreeBSD
> 5.0-RELEASE #0: Thu Jan 16 22:16:53 GMT 2003
> root at hollin.btc.adaptec.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386"-system
> :)
>
> Apache replies to http://localhost, but not to
> http://al-khwarizmi.intra.arrhythmetic.net which is the full name for my
> system. How come? "ServerName al-khwarizmi.intra.arrhythmetic.net:80" is
> in my httpd.conf, sure enough. This doesn'nt work, either:
>
> "# telnet al-khwarizmi.intra.arrhythmetic.net 80
> Trying 192.168.0.2...
> telnet: connect to address 192.168.0.2: Connection refused
> telnet: Unable to connect to remote host"
>
> Why is this? Could anybody help me. You're always very helpful on this
> list...

Sounds like apache is not listening on your network interfaces.  By
default, the apache config will have a line:

    Listen 80

which means 'bind to all network interfaces and listen on port 80', so
it should work unless you've modified that part of the httpd.conf
file.  Check to see if apache is listening on the right port by using
netstat.  Run:

    % netstat -na | grep '\.80 '

You should see a line like:

    tcp4       0      0  *.80                  *.*                    LISTEN

If apache is listening on your network interfaces, then check any
firewall rulesets you may have in place.  Chances are you're
inadvertently filtering out the incoming connection.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way