libc.so.4

Vincent Poy vince at oahu.WURLDLINK.NET
Tue Jul 8 01:09:46 PDT 2003

On Mon, 7 Jul 2003, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 07, 2003 at 01:34:50AM -1000, Vincent Poy wrote:
> > On Mon, 7 Jul 2003, Jun wrote:
> >
> > > Hello there.
> > >
> > > Greetings!!!
> > >
> > > I would like to ask if how can I fix the error I always receive from my box FreeBSD 5.0-p7 when i run any executable program such as gmake, httpd, etc.:
> > >
> > > gowee# gmake release
> > > /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libc.so.4" not found
> > > gowee#
> > >
> > > that's the error i always receive, i don't know if how can i fix it :( ... i try to find if what particular library is the libc.so.4 but i got no.
> > >
> > > Thanks and More power.
> > >
> > > Jun
> >
> > 	You can try:
> >
> > ln -sf /usr/lib/libc.so /usr/lib/lib.so.4
> >
> > and then:
> >
> > ldconfig -elf -R
>
> Grr..that's not a solution at all.
>
> libc.so.4 is provided by the compat4x distribution and packages.
> Either add COMPAT4X=yes to /etc/make.conf and make world, install the
> compat4x distribution from sysinstall, or add the compat4x package.
>
> Kris

	That's what I get for staying awake too many hours and trying to
provide help to someone.  I forgot completely about /usr/lib/compat but
follow Kris's instructions and it'll work.

Cheers,
Vince - vince at WURLDLINK.NET - Vice President             ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
WurldLink Corporation                                  / / / /  | /  | __] ]
San Francisco - Honolulu - Hong Kong                  / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]
Almighty1 at IRC - oahu.DAL.NET Hawaii's DALnet IRC Network Server Admin