Mounting extended dos partition

Malcolm Kay malcolm.kay at internode.on.net
Mon Jul 7 07:23:18 PDT 2003

On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 22:18, Brian Astill wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 04:08 pm, Kent Stewart wrote:

> > > Typo!  should read "can't" , or "cannot have more than three
> > > primary partitions"
> >
> > Not true. In the handbook in section 2.5.2 you will find the
> > following
>
> Which refers to FREEBSD, not DOS.
> It is a DOS logical partition within a DOS extended partition the
> enquirer is trying to mount.
>
> Your information is irrelevant inaccurate and confusing in this context.

The number of primary partitions (slices) was maximum four before I had
even heard of FreeBSD. They correspond to the four slots in the partition
table in the MBR.

A possible point of confusion is that an extended partition is itself a
primary partition. It is not the extended partion that appears as slice 5
but a "logical" partition contained within the extended partition.

Malcolm