Mounting extended dos partition

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Mon Jul 7 07:08:42 PDT 2003

> On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 05:21 am, Kent Stewart wrote:
>
> > > Any ideas on how I mount this logical drive in this extended
> > > partition ?
> >
> > The extended partitions all start at 5 because you can have 4 primary
> > partitions.
>
> Typo!  should read "can't" , or "cannot have more than three primary
> partitions"

If by 'primary partition' you mean what MS calls partition, and which
FreeBSd calls 'slice' then you can have up to 4 of them, named 1-4.
These, then can each be divided in to as many as 8 (but really 5 or 6 in
practicallity because c and d are excluded and b usually only use for
swap) sub-units, which FreeBSD calls partitions named a-h.

////jerry