FreeBSD FTP problem

Arcadius A. ahouans at sh.cvut.cz
Sun Jul 6 16:44:40 PDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ryan Thompson" <ryan at sasknow.com>
To: "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions at freebsd.org>
Sent: Monday, July 07, 2003 1:07 AM
Subject: Re: FreeBSD FTP problem

http://groups.google.ca/groups?threadm=Pine.BSF.4.10.10001271959170.55593-100000_sasknow.com%40ns.sol.net

> But, yes... That was little piece of history! :-)
>
> > I'm having exacly the same problem with my FreeBSD4.8.
> >
> > Some houres ago... eveything was Ok.... but I don't know what has
> > changed.... I can still FTP the FeeBSD server from my windows box....
> > but nothing more.... just the same arror as the one you've described:
> > "... 425 can't build data connection: operation timed out ..." :-(((
> >
> > Do you have any idea about how to get around this?
>
> Well, in my case, it turned out to be pilot error... FTP is a tricky
> protocol to allow through default-deny firewalls, and I had simultaneous
> bugs in my firewall config *and* FTPd config, with respect to passive
> transfers. It took me a while to spot.
>
> Check your firewall config carefully, and make sure you have a good
> understanding of how the FTP protocol works (in active and passive
> modes). Completely open your firewall temporarily (i.e., ipfw add 201
> allow ip from any to any) and verify that things work there. If things
> work there (or fail differently), the problem is with your firewall (and
> possibly FTPd configuration, if you're using the ephemeral port range
> for PASV). If your tests fail in *exactly* the same manner as before,
> including the same timeout delays, you can ignore your firewall for the
> time being (but leave it open until you get FTP working, and *then*
> restrict it, so you're only testing one unknown at a time). Try running
> tcpdump and sockstat on the server to see what's coming and going for
> FTP traffic. /ports/net/trafshow might be helpful, too.

Hello!
Thanks for the reply!
But I'm not running any firewall on my server...
Here's my /etc/rc.conf
<rc.conf>
..
..
#named_enable="YES"
firewall_enable="NO"
#natd_enable="NO"
#firewall_type="open"
#firewall_script="/etc/rc.ipfw"
enable_quotas="YES"
check_quotas="NO"
linux_enable="YES"
</rc.conf>

So, my problem shouldn't be with the firewall on my server...

About the configuration of  FTPd, I cannot find the config file (ftpd.conf
or ftpd.config or ftpd.cf )on my server(FreeBSD4.8 stable, built yesterday).

Note that I'm trying to connect to FreeBSD from a windows workstation....
both the workstation and the FreeBSD server are in the same LAN.... From my
Windows box, I can easilly connect via FTP to other Linux sercers in my LAN
or even out of the LAN.. But when I connect to my FreeBSD server, it connecs
well... but I cannot do anything useful on the server.... I get the error
"...425 can't build data connection: operation timed out..."
My server was running FreeBSD4.6 before and I didn't have any trouble with
FTPd .... I just upgraded yesterday.... and still, I haven't noticed this
problem.... I start getting this error just a while ago... :-( ... I've
rebooted the server... but it didn't help

Thanks for the support.

Arcadius.