NAS 1.6 hangs on certain streams

J. Seth Henry jshamlet at comcast.net
Sun Jul 6 08:01:18 PDT 2003

Guys/gals,
I have been experiencing an odd problem with my NAS setup. I finally got
things to work, sort of.

I have a small FreeBSD 4-8-REL system running nasd (NAS 1.6). I want to
connect to it via a separate machine on the network.

Now, I CAN play simple .WAV files via auplay, and this works. I can also
use auinfo to get the particulars of the server:

alexandria# auinfo -audio gearbox:0
Audio Server:           tcp/gearbox:8000
Version Number:         2.2
Vendor:                 Network Audio System Release 1.6 - VoxWare
Vendor Release:         1
Min Sample Rate:        5000
Max Sample Rate:        44100
Max Tracks:             32
Number of Formats:      7
Formats:                ULAW8  LinearUnsigned8  LinearSigned8
                        LinearSigned16MSB  LinearUnsigned16MSB
                        LinearSigned16LSB  LinearUnsigned16LSB
Number of Elem Types:   12
Element Types:          ImportClient  ImportDevice  ImportBucket
                        ImportWaveForm  Bundle  MultiplyConstant
AddConstant
                        Sum  ExportClient  ExportDevice  ExportBucket
                        ExportMonitor
Number of Wave Forms:   2
Wave Forms:             Square  Sine
Number of Actions:      3
Actions:                ChangeState  SendNotify  Noop
Number of Devices:      3
    Device 0:
        Changable:      Gain  LineMode
        ID:             0x23
        Kind:           PhysicalInput
        Use:            Import
        Format:         LinearUnsigned8
        Num Tracks:     2
        Access:         Import  List
        Min Rate:       5000
        Max Rate:       44100
        Location:       Left  Right  External
        Gain Percent:   50
        Num Children:   0
    Device 1:
        Changable:      Gain
        ID:             0x22
        Kind:           PhysicalOutput
        Use:            Export
        Format:         LinearSigned16LSB
        Num Tracks:     2
        Access:         Export  List
        Min Rate:       5000
        Max Rate:       44100
        Location:       Center  Internal
        Gain Percent:   50
        Num Children:   1
        Children:       0x21
    Device 2:
        Changable:      Gain
        ID:             0x21
        Kind:           PhysicalOutput
        Use:            Export
        Format:         LinearSigned16LSB
        Num Tracks:     1
        Access:         Export  List
        Min Rate:       5000
        Max Rate:       44100
        Location:       Center  Internal
        Gain Percent:   50
        Num Children:   0
Number of Buckets:      0

However, if I attempt to use mpg123 or xmms with the NAS plugin, the
server hangs. After it hangs, I can no longer use auplay or auinfo.
There is nothing in the log files to indicate what happened, it simply
no longer does anything. When using xmms or mpg123, I don't hear
anything - there isn't even a few bad samples, just silence.

Now, I have verified that both mpg123 and xmms-nas can send audio data
to my IBM Netstations. It's bad, but audible (probably due to the lack
of CPU in the netstations).

It doesn't appear to be related to sample size - as I have played 16-bit
waves through auplay.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Seth Henry