staring imapd from command line?

Martin Karlsson mk-freebsd at bredband.net
Sat Jul 5 14:06:48 PDT 2003

Hi,

* Joshua Oreman <oremanj at www.get-linux.org> [2003-07-05 13.27 -0700]:
> On Sat, Jul 05, 2003 at 04:04:25PM -0400 or thereabouts, David Loszewski wrote:
> > I don't use inetd for security reasons but am now trying to start imapd from the command line, if I do '/usr/local/libexec/imapd &'  this happens:
> >
> > hermes# * OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4REV1 LOGIN-REFERRALS STARTTLS LOGINDISABLED] hermes.bsdadmins.net IMAP4rev1 2003.337 at Sat, 5 Jul 2003 16:07:17 -0500 (EST)
> >
> > [1]  + Suspended (tty input)         /usr/local/libexec/imapd
> >
> > How do I make this work?
>
> Make an /etc/inetd.conf file with one line to start imapd. Sorry, you have to.

I seem to remember that you can start courier's imapd
(/usr/ports/mail/courier-imap) from a script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d,
without having to use inetd.  Presumably, starting it directly from
the command line would work as well(?).  Please note, however, that
it has been a while since I used it, so you may want to investigate
it further before going there.

Regards,
--
Martin Karlsson