oddity regarding execution

Kirk Bailey idiot1 at netzero.net
Sat Jul 5 12:27:16 PDT 2003

I am using FreeBSD and sendmail to work on the internet. Recently I wrote a program to
process a incoming email and append it to a file in it's own directory. I have a
complete email in a file in the directory for testing, and I fired it up from the
command line prompt using input redirection to draw input from the file; it worked fine.
So I created an alias pointed at it, and fired off a test message.

Well, when the alias fed the message to it, it barked. 'unknown mailer error 1' says the
log. Ran it with the sample file, worked fine; even modified the testcase a little,
still fine. Hmmmm... So I added a line to the script, so it would open a file and write
it's current path, and very carefully detailed EXACTLY where this file lived, having a
suspicion. BARK! Although it still barked like a dog, it gave me my confirmation; when
executed by an alias, it thinks the cwd is '/'!!! I modified the script to point EXACTLY
to the location of the recipient file of the data, and all was now well, either way.

HHMMMMMMMMMMMMM..... is this a freebsd quriosity, a sendmail quriosity, or what all? And
is there anything I can do so the cwd will be the dir the script is living in?

--

end

Cheers!
         Kirk D Bailey
                               think
http://www.howlermonkey.net/ +-----+ http://www.tinylist.org/
http://www.listville.net/    | BOX | http://www.sacredelectron.org/
                              +-----+
"Thou art free"-ERIS          think    'Got a light?'-Promethieus

Fnord.