FreeBSD Startup Question

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Sat Jul 5 09:07:38 PDT 2003

ACiD wrote:
> All,
>
> I have been working a lot with Free 5.0.  Because of a few issues, I had to
> back down to 4.8-RELEASE.  Now I am having problems understanding the rc
> days, etc.)  The file system has an /etc/rc.d directory that loads separate
> scripts on boot.  My local apps are also loaded from /usr/local/etc/rc.d.
> This, for me, was a convenient way to modify say syslogd and change it to
> listen for incoming network connections (-r).
>
> But in 4.8 there is no rc.d directory.  I am having trouble understanding
> how everything works here.  the /etc/rc file seems to load everything
> (most - at least syslog) referencing a "syslogd_flags" variable.  I found
> that placing this variable in the rc.conf file was reference (google
> search), but it did not work for me.

I don't see why syslogd_flags wouldn't work.  You might want to provide more
details, as that is the right way to do it in 4.x.

The general method that 4.x uses is this:
The startup scripts use the configuration in /etc/defaults/rc.conf and then
override those defaults with the values in /etc/rc.conf.  Any config changes
you want to make should be done in /etc/rc.conf.
Reading the /etc/defaults/rc.conf file will help you to see all the options
available for /etc/rc.conf, and the man page for rc.conf will explain things.

> Anyhow, would someone mind taking the time and explain the rc load process
> on 4.8 to me and why its different in 5 ?  Also, am I correct in saying that
> the 5.x tree will (remain) change to using the rc.d directory structure that
> I like so much ???

Remember that 5 is new technology.  The rc method you see in 5 is the new
method that is an improvement on the previous method used in 4.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies