Need help with a strange mail/domain problem!

Jamie Jones jamie at bishopston.net
Sat Jul 5 05:28:03 PDT 2003

In bish.lists.freebsd.questions, you wrote:

> Third task was to get my email work... and now the problems begins.
>
> I own the domain beutler.se, and my computers name is visthusboden.
> The server accepts incoming mail all right - no problems there... BUT...
> ...whatever I do, all outgoing mail get the address
> user at visthusboden.beutler.se instead of user at beutler.se
>
> What am I doing wrong?
>
> I've checked and tripple-checked every file in /etc/namedb/ and everything
> looks fine (no missing dots or
> some simple problem like that) and I've really read this through in the
> FreeBSD manual... and still... ???

It's not a DNS issue, it's "sendmail".

What it's currently doing is correct - by default, it uses your fully
qualified hostname for the Sender address -- it doesn't know that
"user at beutler.se" will work also - so, you need to tell sendmail of this fact:

You can do this with the "massquerading" feature of sendmail.

See:

http://www.sendmail.org/m4/masquerading_relaying.html

and more generally: http://www.sendmail.org/m4/readme.html

Cheers,