Compile fails (-lexpat).

lewiz purple at lewiz.info
Fri Jul 4 18:07:55 PDT 2003

Hi,

  I'm trying to compile a programme called ``Dasher'' from source, which
requires Expat (which I do have installed according to pkg_info and
ldconfig -rv).  However, it fails when I configure it:

sh configure --prefix=/usr/local --exec-prefix=/usr/local

with:

checking for XML_Parse in -lexpat... no
configure: error: Expat library not found.

the config.log shows:

configure:6789: cc -o conftest -O2 -pipe -march=pentiumpro
conftest.c -l        expat   >&5
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lexpat
configure:6792: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
#line 6764 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"

/* Override any gcc2 internal prototype to avoid an error.  */
#ifdef __cplusplus
extern "C"
#endif
/* We use char because int might match the return type of a gcc2
   builtin and then its argument prototype would still apply.

char XML_Parse ();
#ifdef F77_DUMMY_MAIN
#  ifdef __cplusplus
     extern "C"
#  endif
   int F77_DUMMY_MAIN() { return 1; }
#endif
int
main ()
{
XML_Parse ();
  ;
  return 0;
}
configure:6809: result: no
configure:6819: error: Expat library not found.

  I hope somebody might be able to help with this problem :)  Sorry if
it's something really silly (I have never fully understood ld, ldconfig
and libraries).  Thanks very much,

-lewiz.

--
Don't cook tonight -- starve a rat today!
-| msn:purple at lewiz.net | jab:lewiz at jabber.org | url:http://lewiz.net |-