getting sendmail to add Return-Path: header

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Fri Jul 4 14:52:24 PDT 2003

On Fri, Jul 04, 2003 at 05:38:13PM -0400, David Banning wrote:
> Now it seems to be working. I inserted it in the "F" section of the
> settings below the one we discussed and it seems to work.
>
> > > Mlocal,         P=/usr/local/bin/procmail, F=lsDFMAw5:/|@qSPfhn9, S=EnvFromL/Hdr
> > > FromL, R=EnvToL/HdrToL,
> > >                 T=DNS/RFC822/X-Unix,
> > >                 A=procmail -Y -a $h -d $u
> > > Mprog,          P=/bin/sh, F=lsDFMoqeu9, S=EnvFromL/H...
>              HERE----------------^
>
> I am not sure what I did, or what the purpose of Mprog is.

The prog mailer is generally for aliases that pipe mail into programs
-- eg:

   msgs: "| /usr/bin/msgs -s"

It's not often used --- too much opportunity for abuse over the
network.  About the only thing I remember ever using it was majordomo,
but I suppose it could be something to do with anti-spam or anti-virus
scanning.

The question now must be why your system is using the 'prog' mailer to
do final delivery of your e-mail?  Got any interesting entries in
/etc/mail/mailertable or /etc/mail/aliases ?

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way