Opinions on ftp-server

Monte Milanuk nuk at panix.com
Fri Jul 4 10:14:48 PDT 2003

On Fri, Jul 04, 2003 at 08:12:00AM -0400, Adam wrote:
> I should ask you, what specific advantages does vsftpd have over
> Pure-FTPd? I have been using Pure-FTPd for over a year and am very
> pleased; should I switch?

Heck no, man, use whatever floats your boat.  I use ftp intermittently,
usually when there is something that needs transferred or installed on
my little home LAN and there isn't another easier way to do it.

I just find it interesting to see people recommending pureftpd as the
end-all, be-all of secure, unbreakable ftp daemons.  Then I go to the
project site, and the 'big' name user is the Spanish Nat'l Research
project.  No offense to anyone associated w/ said group, but I'm thinking
seeing projects like OpenBSD, RedHat, SuSE, SANS, and IBM recommending
vsftpd as the ftpd of choice (heck, even the LinuxMafia article you cited
mentioned vsftpd was the authors preferred option) makes me think vsftpd,
not pureftpd.

Does pureftpd have an impeccable security record?  Sure looks like it.
Does it have a lot of nice feature and add-ons available.  Appears so.
vsftpd, from the little bit I've seen setting it up on Linux boxes, is
pretty bare bones, w/ no frills.  So again, if pureftpd is what works for
you, keep on truckin' ;)

nuk

--
I know more than enough *nix to do some very destructive things,
and not nearly enough to do very many useful things.