Recovering ext2fs partitions after crash

W. Sierke ws at senet.com.au
Thu Jul 3 20:36:38 PDT 2003

Hi,

My 4.8 box died (after 70+ days) for reasons as yet unknown. I couldn't log
in remotely or at virtual consoles, main console was completely unresponsive
and I couldn't ctrl-alt-del so I had to hit reset.

I've got the box back up but I can't mount my 2 ext2fs partitions (had to
comment them out of /etc/fstab):

# mount_ext2fs /dev/ad0s5 /mnt/store1
mount_ext2fs: /dev/ad0s5: Operation not permitted

# e2fsck /dev/ad0s5
e2fsck 1.27 (8-Mar-2002)
The filesystem size (according to the superblock) is 1281175 blocks
The physical size of the device is 0 blocks
Either the superblock or the partition table is likely to be corrupt!
Abort<y>?

Uh-oh. That's not good! I don't think that "superblock" version of the size
is correct, either. Any suggestions as to the best way to proceed from here?
(Please don't use the dreaded "B" word! :)

Thanks,

Wayne