Disable PING command

Matthew Hunt mph at astro.caltech.edu
Thu Jul 3 15:04:55 PDT 2003

On Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 03:02:22PM -0700, K Anderson wrote:

> Well, all I have to do then as a user who can't run ping is get it from
> someplace else and just do ./ping in my home directory. Correct? Or even
> use a perl script to do it. If that's possible.

No.  Normal users can't create the raw sockets that ping needs to work.
A ping executable, no matter where it came from, is not going to work unless
it's suid root (or run by root).  Normal users obviously cannot mark an
executable suid root.

> The above example then becomes pointless and the poster did ask to
> disable it or get rid of it all together. Just shutting down the
> /sbin/ping isn't enough. That's all I am saying. :)

You're wrong.  You would be right if we were talking about lots of other
programs, but not ping.

--
Matthew Hunt <mph at astro.caltech.edu> * Science rules.
http://www.pobox.com/~mph/           *