kernel: arplookup error

John papalia at comcast.net
Wed Jul 2 17:25:04 PDT 2003

Hi all,

This question appears to have been asked before on several occasions, but I
haven't been able to find a fix using the information provided.  I keep
getting the following in my log files:

/kernel: arplookup a.b.118.64 failed: host is not on local network

My system is sitting on a.b.119.69.  My system and .64 sit behind different
gateways, hooked up to different switches, but both sit on the same
academic campus.  After checking the seemingly obvious places (/etc,
/usr/local/etc, etc), I took a stab out of desperation and grep'd the
entire system trying to find *any* reference to the 'offending'
address.  Unfortunately, I have zero access to the .64 box, so anything I
try has to be without accessing that box.

I was hoping someone might be able to offer some suggestions on what to
look for or something to try.  Not sure what other info might be helpful
here.  If there's anything else I can provide, please let me know.

Thanks,
John