Using a RAID-card with FreeBSD

Harald Schmalzbauer H at Schmalzbauer.de
Wed Jul 2 13:56:24 PDT 2003

owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org wrote:
> Subject: Re: Using a RAID-card with FreeBSD
>

> At 12:39 02.07.2003 -0500, Micheal Patterson wrote:
>
>> [...]
>> It works equally well with Adaptec hardware raid with 5 SCSI drives
>> in a Raid 5 configuration. Gotta love FreeBSD. Although, not
>> everyone needs raid 5, but it's nice to know that it works and works
>> well.
>
> hello Michael,
>
> please could you tell us which Adaptec hardware you are using at which
> FreeBSD version.

Just for information!

For simple RAID0 or RAID1 purposes with very low budget I can highly
recommend the Dawicontrol DC-100 (HPT372 chip, ~45?) and the DC-133
(SiliconImage 0680 Chipset, ~55?).
They both work like a charm. I just installed 5.1-release on both
without any problem (ar0!)
I can remember some c't (famous german computer magazine) tests where
the adaptec controller were much weaker that e.g. the Dawicontrols.

Best regards,

-Harry