Which server-side programming should i choose.

Bill Campbell freebsd at celestial.com
Wed Jul 2 13:25:41 PDT 2003

On Wed, Jul 02, 2003 at 01:19:29PM -0700, sanketh sangam wrote:
>I have a Apache webserver on FreeBSD machine. I think
>mySQL is also installed(I do not know how to check if
>mySQl is installed on that sytem).
>I am planning to put a user authentication to access
>my webpages in the server. For that i need to write
>server-side programming. Since there are any
>server-side softwares(PHP, ASP, JSP, Perl........) ,I
>am confused as to which one would be better for Apache
>and freeBSD.
>Instead of going for those server-side programming,
>should I go for HTTP authentication method. I am
>confused. Any kind of help would be appreciated.

You can do this a variety of ways.  We use mod_auth_mysql in conjuction
with .htaccess files as well as php authentication which can use a variety
of back-end databases.  LDAP is also widely used.

The biggest factor is doing something that fits with your other needs, and
what's most convenient to maintain the information.

Bill
--
INTERNET:   bill at Celestial.COM  Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC

``We maintain that the very foundation of our way of life is what we call
free enterprise,'' said Cash McCall, "but when one of our citizens
show enough free enterprise to pile up a little of that profit, we do
our best to make him feel that he ought to be ashamed of himself."
		-- Cameron Hawley