ssh keepalives

Christian Stigen Larsen csl at sublevel3.org
Wed Jul 2 06:04:55 PDT 2003

Quoting Steve Coile (scoile at nandomedia.com):
| On Tue, 1 Jul 2003, Philip J. Koenig wrote:
| > I'm having a problem with premature termination of ssh sessions [...]
|
| Is this a common problem with firewalls?  We suffer from this problem
| here, also, and I've thought it must be a misconfiguration with the
| firewall or elsewhere in the netwrok.  But since you mentioend it,
| I'm rethinking my assessment.

As Michal F. Hanula, it might be due to the firewall dropping idle TCP
connections.

At work I use PuTTY (http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/) for
my outbound ssh sessions, and it supports a useful option:

	"Sending of null packets to keep session active"

Settings this to, say, 60 seconds effectively prevents my sessions from being
cut off.  Unfortunately I haven't found any similar feature in the OpenSSH
clients.  Do they support such a feature?

--
Christian Stigen Larsen -- http://csl.sublevel3.org -- mob: +47 98 22 02 15