Error messages in dmesg

Konrad Heuer kheuer2 at gwdg.de
Tue Jul 1 06:45:04 PDT 2003

On Tue, 1 Jul 2003, Mike Doyle wrote:

> I have some messages appearing in my dmesg output and in the security log
> that concerns me:
>
>  > liffey.cooperationireland.org kernel log messages:
>  > > ile: table is full
>  > > file: table is full
>  > > file: table is full
>  > > file: table is full
>
> Any clues as to what might cause this ? Does it mean I've run out of inodes or
> of file descriptors ? How do I pin down the offending application.
>
> The server in question has only two roles - it acts as our mail server and
> also as a Squid web proxy. The errors mostly seem to have occurred late at
> night so it was most likely mail related rather than web-proxy related.

You're probably out of descriptors; check the max number with:

sysctl kern.maxfiles

The number can be enlarged by entering:

sysctl -w kern.maxfiles=somelargernumber

To make this change permanent, insert

kern.maxfiles=somelargernumber

in /etc/sysctl.conf.

rmonitor from /usr/ports/sysutils/rmonitor is able to log utilization of
file descriptors and may help to analyze what happens.

Regards

Konrad Heuer (kheuer2 at gwdg.de)  ____            ___  _______
Germany