FreeBSD as NAS

CVBNM cvbnm at fem.uniag.sk
Tue Jul 1 01:12:32 PDT 2003

Hello,

We are considering to buy some NAS solution (Dell). We chose PowerVault 775N
+ PowerVault 220S (SCSI array). But then I realized, whether it would be
possible use some cheaper server (e.g. PowerEdge 1650 SCSI) with FreeBSD
instead of Windows powered 775N.

The pros and cons of FreeBSD based solution:

+ cheaper
+ more reliable (my oppionion)
+ have more experiences with this OS
+ can be configured as one wish
- not all feautures of Windows (snapshot copy, backup utilities)
- correct hardware support (is 1Gbit/s network working correctly?,
hotswaping, RAID controller)

Protocol support is probably the same (we need just NFS and SMB). It will be
used for users' data (home directories).

What is your opinion? Does it make sense?

Thanks in advance

lk