fxp0

Florin Betivoiu flow_of_rhin at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 1 01:02:32 PDT 2003

     Hello. I am using FreeBSD 4.8 for learning. I love it, is my operating
system of choice. I have some problems however. I installed it on a
system and after a while I decided I want it on another system too. But
the first install was thru ftp and it was a big effort so I didn't want to ftp it
again (and bother all those people) so I looked for a different
solution. It came from one of you guys: dump and restore. I did this:
I put the second harddrive in the system as secondary master and
created a slice and partitions. The harddrives both had windows
partitions on them so the source slice was /dev/ad0s2 and the
destination slice was /dev/ad2s2. Then I mounted the partitions I wanted
to fill up and for each one did a dump and a restore. For example,
the /usr partition got this:

#mount /dev/ad2s2g /mnt/s2/usr
#dump -0uaf - /dev/ad0s2g | (cd /mnt/s2/usr; restore -rf - )

     Now the system I just created has a problem which I hope you can help me with. The kernel fills up ttyv0 with messages like
these:

fxp0: SCB timeout: 0xff 0xff 0xff 0xfff
fxp0: device timeout
fxp0: SCB timeout: 0xff 0xff 0xff 0xfff
fxp0: SCB timeout: 0xff 0xff 0xff 0xfff
fxp0: SCB timeout: 0xff 0xff 0xff 0xfff
fxp0: DMA timeout
.... and they keep on coming

     Now I don't think it's a hardware problem, the two systems are
absolutely the same and I didn't have any problems before (with
windows). Help me? Thank you in advance for any suggestions.