REPOST: null device in linux jail root

Lucas Holt luke at foolishgames.com
Tue Dec 16 11:35:12 PST 2003

I'll take a guess here and say you should have used /

The linux port is installed in /compat/linux

i would assume the jail is /compat/linux.  Therefore you could run the
command from /.

On Dec 16, 2003, at 2:15 PM, Charles Howse wrote:

> Surely, *someone* who reads this list has upgraded the linux_base
> port, and
> figured out the proper way to respond to this prompt.

> Hi,
>
> I installed Linux compatibility when I installed FBSD 4.8, but I've
> never
> really done anything with it.
>
> While portupgrading , I was presented with a prompt that I don't know
> how to
> respond to:
>
> You need to create the null device in your jail root environment.
> Run the following commands outside the jail root environment,
> and then press enter:
> mkdir -m 0755 -p <Jail Root dir>/dev
> rm -f <Jail Root dir>//compat/linux/dev/null
> mknod <Jail Root dir>//compat/linux/dev/null c 2 2
> chmod 666 <Jail Root dir>//compat/linux/dev/null
>
> I found that this prompt comes from the makefile in the linux-base
> port, which
> I don't have access to at the moment, so I can't quote it exactly.
>
> Clueless, I just pressed enter at the prompt, thinking I could always
> go back
> and do it later, or deinstall the port and reinstall it when I learn
> what to
> do.
>
> I know what a jail is, but how do I know what my <Jail Root dir> is?
> Also, why the double slashes in the last 3 lines?  What do they mean?
>
> What is the proper way to deal with this prompt?
>
> --
> Thanks,
> Charles

Lucas Holt
Luke at FoolishGames.com
FoolishGames.com  (Jewel Fan Site)
JustJournal.com (Free blogging)

'Re-implementing what I designed in 1979 is not interesting to me
personally. For kids who are 20 years younger than me, Linux is a great
way to cut your teeth. It's a cultural phenomenon and a business
phenomenon. Mac OS X is a rock-solid system that's beautifully
designed. I much prefer it to Linux.'
-- Bill Joy, Wired Article 2003