rsh and rcp problems between Solaris and FreeBSD

John Von Essen essenz at bjork.quonix.net
Wed Dec 31 07:08:09 PST 2003

I can do two rsh's back to back with no problems, its the third (and 4th
and so on) that hang.

On the FreeBSD side, after the first rsh, netstat shows:

tcp4       0      0  mx100.851              embryo.bluebell..1021
TIME_WAIT
tcp4       0      0  mx100.shell            embryo.bluebell..1022
TIME_WAIT

Those connections stay around for awhile, about 30 seconds. Only when they
disappear does the next rsh work.

As for the rcp, I was missing a trailing slash, apparently rcp -r syntax
between Solaris and FreeBSD is a little different. So the rcp's work, but
that take just as long as the rsh calls.

As for name resolution, the Solaris box uses dns, and so does FreeBSD.
Both have some entries in the hosts file.

-John