hard drive test

Francisco Reyes lists at natserv.com
Wed Dec 31 07:04:34 PST 2003

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003, David Bear wrote:

> i just installed 4.9-rel.  after having the system on for about two
> hours I got a console message that device ad0 had timed out.  then the
> system froze.

I believe Seagate has an utility you can use to check a drive. Also if the
drive was bought in the last couple of years and your motherboard supports
SMART monitoring I believe there is a port that can interface to the SMART
interface in your hardware.

>From my experience if your system supports SMART and you have it enabled
upon bootup you would receive a notice if your HD is having serious
problems.

To check if your system has SMART monitoring check your BIOS.