file system

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Tue Dec 30 20:41:14 PST 2003

In the last episode (Dec 30), Larry Johnson said:
> The file systems used in Linux are limited to 32,000 files or
> subdirectories within any given directory. Does anybody know what the
> limit is in FreeBSD?  Can't find any info about this anywhere.

I don't think there's really a limit on the number of files; I quite
easily created 90k files in a directory with a shell script.  The
number of subdirectories in one directory is 32766, since the link
count for a directory is stored as a signed 16-bit integer, and the
parent directory will end up with 32767 links (one for itself, and
32766 to .. in each child directory).  This is also trivial to verify
with a shell script.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson at allantgroup.com