DHCP

fbsd_user fbsd_user at a1poweruser.com
Tue Dec 30 05:17:34 PST 2003

Stanley
You question is not clear on what your final goal is, But maybe I
can read between the lines. It is very common to use an FBSD gateway
box with an single public ip address to share internet access with
work stations on the private LAN behind the gateway box. DHCP can be
used in this setting to assign the private reserved ip address to
the LAN workstations. To complete this setup you also need to run
some kind of NAT (network address translation) between the private
LAN ip address and the single public internet address.  If you have
phone dial in to your ISP using (user ppp) then just enable it's
built in NAT function. If you have DSL or cable internet connection
then you need to use the NAT function of one of the FBSD firewall
applications. I recommend ipnat/IPFILTER as it's the easiest to
configure.