What logs etc do I need to checkfrequently?

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Mon Dec 29 07:01:11 PST 2003

> As you with good memories know, I lost 3000 pictures of my first sons
> first year this month. I did have a RAID-5 system with fresh disks,
> however, shit happens and I have a feeling that this could have been
> avoided if I read my log files better.

As has been mentioned, if you have critical or irreplaceable data, back
it up.    If your partitions are too large for any backup system you
can use, then make a scheme for breaking the data in to more manageable
sized partitions - use more partitions and even more slices and disk
devices if needed.   Those huge raid partitions are nice for some
things, but have their drawbacks.

You can get backup devices - LTO and high end DLT that hold up to 160
or more uncompressed, so that is a good single sized partition.  They
are expensive, but not compared to losing your data.

Also, you are supposed to be able to use more than one tape in a backup.
I don't know how well that works in FreeBSD dump/restore.  I don't have
a big enough disk under FreeBSD to make it go to more than one tape yet.
But, I have successfully dumped partitions that needed up to 10 DAT tapes
before on other UNIX systems.

////jerry